Loimu’s member register
We process personal data in accordance with current legislation, such as the European Parliament and Council of Europe’s General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679).
Union of Professionals in Natural, Environmental and Forestry Sciences Loimu
Mikonkatu 8 A, 8th floor
Tel. (09) 6226 6850
Business ID 0202153-4
Data protection officer
Marjaana KousaMikonkatu 8 A, 8th floor
Name of the register
Member register of the Union of Professionals in Natural, Environmental and Forestry Sciences Loimu.
Purpose and legal basis for processing data
Personal data is collected and processed in order to establish memberships, collect membership fees andfulfill the purpose of the organisation. The processing of personal data is based on the membership relationship
between the union and its member (contractual relationship, legal obligation to maintain a member register). Establishing a membership is not possible without personal data. Personal data is also processed based on legitimate interests in order to provide information, advertise services and improve information security and reporting. In addition, data may be processed based on consent, for example in relation to membership benefits received through our partners.
Personal data is primarily processed in order to manage memberships, advocate for members and
provide member services. Additionally, we send our members information about current affairs, member
services and benefits, compile statistics about our members’ placement in the job
market and conduct questionnaires for member advocacy purposes. Additionally, the data collected is used for monitoring
and developing the union’s own operations and services. Additionally, we use the data provided by members
to create necessary groupings in order to develop communication and member services.
Information content of the register
The member register contains data on the following:
• General information: name, personal identity number, e-mail address, telephone number, previous union, member calendar subscription, unemployment fund membership, member communication permissions, prior division membership, employer, employer’s address, occupation, former employer, interest in acting as a mentor, course number
• Education: degree, major, institution, date of graduation
• Membership fee: payments, transactions, payment methods, grounds for payment, employer collection
• Organisational activities: positions of trust, sub-organisation membership, merits/grants
• Member advocacy and counselling: date of contact, subject, type of contact, description and respondent
• Career services and training: participations in training
Personal data collection and statutory sources of information
Personal data may be collected through various means. The information entered into the membership form by the member when joining is stored in the member register. Data is also pulled from the population information system, the Unemployment Fund for Higher Educated Employees Erko and member organisations. Personal data may also be collected, stored and updated from registers run by a controller that provides address lookup services or other similar services.
Statutory disclosure of personal data
Personal data may be disclosed to a third party:
• in a capacity allowed and required by law, such as disclosing membership fee information annually to the tax authorities for taxing purposes
• to negotiation organisations (JUKO and YTN) and their shop stewards for member advocacy purposes
• to the Unemployment Fund for Higher Educated Employees Erko for the purpose of implementing an Erko member’s unemployment benefits
• to the mutual non-life insurance company Turva for the purpose of implementing the group insurance offered as a membership benefit and to If Insurances for the purpose of managing the existing insurance base
• to Danske Bank for the purpose of using products offered as membership benefits
• to our partners who process personal data at Loimu ry’s request in order to implement member services and membership benefits. Avoine Oy manages the member database and has access to the system for maintenance purposes. Personal data is disclosed to Suomen Järjestömarkkinointi Oy with regard to contacting members via phone and to Liana Technologies Oy with regard to member newsletters
• to the union’s own member associations for their members
• to the following affiliate organisations in order to implement a member’s Nordic guest membership agreement: Naturvetareförbundet in Sweden, Dansk Magisterforening in Denmark, Félags íslenskra náttúrufræðinga in Iceland and Naturviterforbundet in Norway
• when disclosing personal data is necessary to ensure rights, protect safety, investigate misconduct or respond to requests by authorities.
Data transfer outside the EU or EEA
Personal data may be transferred outside the EU or European Economic Area when the partner carrying out an order is located outside these regions or uses a service provider that is located outside these regions. In these cases, Loimu ry takes the necessary precautions to ensure the data subject’s rights and freedoms are protected in accordance with the applicable data protection legislation, such as the European General Data Protection Regulation (679/2016).
Personal data protection
The personal data is protected from, for example, external use and unauthorised or accidental deletion. The personal data is stored and encrypted in the union’s member register, which can only be accessed by union employees who have been registered as users in the system and the representative of the information system’s provider for maintenance purposes. The system is protected with technical and organisational measures relative to the risks. The information system is provided by Avoine Oy.
All parties who participate in processing the personal data are bound by confidentiality. Users of the service use personal credentials and passwords and their access rights have been granted based on their duties.
The online joining forms and member intranet connections are secured (https). Any personal data transferred outside the union is encrypted. People who access the register sign a non-disclosure and user agreement for processors with Loimu.
Physical member register materials are stored in a closed space. Only employees of the union have access to the material.
Storing personal data
Personal data is only stored for as long as is necessary to fulfill the purpose it is used for. Member register-related data that is not stored permanently is deleted under supervision after the storage period defined in the union’s archival policy has elapsed, five years after the membership has been terminated. Annually recorded membership rosters are stored permanently.
Rights of the data subject
The data subject has the right to inspect their stored personal data and receive copies of it upon request. Members may request the rectification, updating or deletion of their personal data. However, some personal data cannot be deleted due to being necessary for fulfilling the essential purpose of the member register or a legal obligation to retain data.
Members can use their personal user ID and password to log into Loimu’s member intranet at www.loimu.fi and inspect and update their general information as well as information concerning their education, membership fees and positions of trust.
Members have the right to object to or limit the processing of their personal data to an extent allowed by the applicable legislation.
In case of personal data that is processed with the member’s consent, members have the right to withdraw their consent at any time. The data will no longer be processed unless there is another legal basis for doing so. Members have the right to contact the data protection ombudsman in matters concerning the processing of personal data. You can find the data protection ombudsman’s contact information at https://tietosuoja.fi/en/home
Contacts and data rectification
If the controller detects any personal data that is erroneous, unnecessary, incomplete or obsolete in relation to the purpose for which it is being processed, they shall rectify or delete it on their own initiative and without undue delay
Members may rectify and/or change their own general information by using their user ID and password to log into the member intranet on Loimu’s website.
Members may exercise their rights through the member intranet. If the matter cannot be handled through the intranet or the message cannot be sent, members can also contact tietosuojavastaava (at) loimu.fi
Data protection officer
Loimu has assigned a data protection officer to ensure that the personal data is being processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation, to act as an expert on data protection legislation and to support the controller and processors of personal data. This duty can be outsourced to a service provider outside the organisation if necessary. You can find the data protection officer’s contact information at the top of the Policy.